How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65266
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

This used to happen to me 2 years ago but it has started

Customer Question

hi, this used to happen to me 2 years ago but it has started again. i start trembling and its very hard to breathe. my eyes start watering and i can't stand up. my heart start beating very fast and can't really understand whats happening around me and time slows down. i start feeling very dizzy. sometimes it starts and i feel very sick. i try to remember something but can't. it happened 15 mins ago today and i got into the elevator to go back into my room, and as i looked at the mirror i felt i could see through myself and i was very focused on it which made me feel even dizzier, i don't know what it is and i can't find it anywhere on the internet. it is similar to panic attack and epilepsy but doesnt quite fit either because i haven't fainted in 3/4 years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
this sounds like a variation of panic attack or anxiety attack
every patient's anxiety or panic attacks are different.
you need to see your GP primary care doctor to talk about these episodes
there are medications such as sertraline or paroxetine and diazepam or clonazepam which can help decrease your anxiety and can help prevent these episodes.
your GP doctor should also refer you to a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist to talk about these episodes as well
do you have a GP doctor you can see?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis can not be simply diagnosed as a panic attack.It can be an atypical seizure.It can be thyroid disease, even if intermittant.It can be other hormonal disease.Panic attacks typically do not occur 2 years apart.You need to see an internal medicine doctor for all considerations.I am a clinical doctor, board certified.Find Dr. Thomas any time to save time and get correct, safe and accurate medical answers.I am here daily.Please click a positive rating on my answer page if you appreciate my expertise.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am the first doctor to help you.
yes, panic attacks can occur 2 years apart
that depends on your anxiety symptoms and your environment.
I agree you have to see your GP doctor to talk about these symptoms.
that is the only way to get diagnosed and to get treatment.
do you have a GP doctor you can see?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
panic attacks and anxiety attacks often causes your heart to beat fast and for you to feel short of breath
it can also cause you to feel disoriented and have brain fog and dizziness
it can also cause a lump in your throat and tightness in your throat and nausea and dry mouth and other potential symptoms.
there are treatments for these symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any questions for me?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.You need:All routine labsUrinalysis.thyroid studiesIf indicated by exam, EEGEKG, and if indicated, holter monitor.The indicated treatment for panic disorder is an SSRI, not clonazapam and similar drugs.This is unusual enough that you need the investigations I have mentioned.If indicated, a sleep deprived EEG would be best, ***** ***** picks up atypical seizures better. See my profile.Expert profiles show you our training and background. You will note that I am a clinical doctor of adult medicine and integrative medicine.I am a double board certified US clinical doctor, having has primary responsiblity forpatients for over***** Thomas by request, any day.Good luck.Please click a positive rating on the Dr. Thomas answer page. That is how we get paid, only for ratings on our specific page.dt
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
sertraline and paroxetine are SSRI medications.
you have not described any symptoms of seizures.
holter monitor testing are very expensive and difficult to get in the UK
they are only given to patients who have high likelyhood of a cardiac arrhythmia.
I see no evidence of cardiac arrhythmia here.
panic attacks often will cause you to have fast heart rates.
this is not a heart arrhythmia.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am recommending holter if there is an EKG finding, since a rhythm problem could cause these symptoms.We can not see evidence of arrythmia, as we can not do an EKG.A fast heart rate can be from a heart rhythm problem, and in serious cases, can cause all of your symptoms.This must not be missed.Holter monitors are indeed done in the UK when indicated [and it would be under the circumstances if exam and ekg and history supported the need], they are covered by the NHS cost wise, and the typical cost to the NHS is around 150 to 170 pounds.'AgainFull work up needed.Dr. Thomas. Find me anytime.