Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My son had his thumb operated on and they wired it, this

Customer Question

Hi, my son had his thumb operated on and they wired it, this was six months
ago,post op he started having seizures, approx 40 to 50 which continued for the next 2 days. he was complaining of a chronic head ache on this right side of his head, they carried out a CT scan, and said that he would be fine, later that evening he lost all sensation down his left side of his body was unable to talk and temporary lost his sight, the doctors assured us that he would be fine, he also suffered memory loss, after the next four days in hospital there was no explanation and the doctors avoided us, when they finally assessed him they said that it was physiological, he had developed a tick and his speech was very poor, and still had no sensation down his left side, he was discharged and said his home environment would aide him, it took around five weeks for his speech to get back to normal and his feeling down his left side, hoping everything was getting back to normal, once his cast was
removed it was apparent that the operation didn't work his thumb re-discolcated and had to have another operation, this was scheduled in early October, they were not going to put him under a general but do a regional block, four days before the op, he had a seizure, neurology assessed him and said he had a sodium deficiency, and put on sodium tablets, they assured the surgeon to do the operation on his thumb, that went fine and it's been a success, his sodium levels are fine, great, in early November he had a seizure, the neurologist had arranged to do a MRI and an EEG, they were all fine, they noted that he still had a weakness down his left side of his body, and he was complaining of a chronic head ache on his right side of his head, they then mentioned heamaplegic migraines.
Two weeks ago he had a seizure at home and injured his right shoulder, stayed in hospital for 3 days, advised him to have ibruprofen and paracetamol to help with the headaches.
On Thursday of this week, he had another seizure at school, but these lasted at least five minutes, and not conscious for twenty minute intervals, complaining of chronic head ache on his right side and lost feeling down his left side, the neurologists are arranging a repeat EEG on Monday or Tuesday for 24 hours, and again put it down to stress and anxiety,
We feel like we are being fobbed off, WHAT DO WE DO,
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you recall how low was the sodium when he was diagnosed as sodium deficient?
Do you know whether any of the EEGs were done as sleep-deprived EEGs?
Has he has a lumbar puncture?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
There are a couple of comments that are pertinent in this situation.
The first comments are relative to the evaluation. It is appropriate to perform more advanced EEG evaluation, which can be done as a 24 hour EEG, but also can be done as a sleep-deprived EEG or a video-EEG. The other test that would be appropriate to consider that you did not comment upon would be a lumbar puncture. He does not have the symptoms that are usually seen with an acute infection, but a lumbar puncture can also look for some chronic infections, as well as evidence for more subtle bleeding or inflammatory conditions.
The other major issue of what to do if you feel that you are being fobbed off by the current doctors would be whether to see a private doctor. I realize that this may be financially difficult for many families, but if it is possible from a financial perspective, then a private doctor would be less likely to not take the issue seriously.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr love
Our GP has not involved and has suggested that we have him transferred to another hospital,
There plan is to do a video and sleep deprevation 24hr EEG we are not sure when, I have expressed our lack of confidence but it does concern me for the future care of my family if we do insist on transferring him as this is our main and local hospital, the last seizure was on Saturday and I did record this, this has been viewed by the neurologist and believes that it's not epileptic, they originally started on Thursday afternoon, the first one lasting around 7 minutes, his oxygen levels dropped and his heart rate went up to 220-230
Back in early October they suggested sodium deficiency, I don't know what level it dropped to but he was prescribed a 14 day sodium prescription, 10 a day,
He took them for ten days, our GP was concerned with the amount taken, his bloods were taken and the level was a 139, and he still continued to have seizures lasting anything from 30 seconds to a minute, two half weeks ago while at home he had another seizure but this time injuring his shoulder, that's when an MRI and a 40 minute EEG was done, they came back and said they were fine, but the latest seizures were a lot more intense and lasted a lot longer, the pain on his right side of his head was intense, as this intensifys the seizures happen, the head ache never goes, in April when these seizures started he complained of a burning sensation on his right side of his head then lost all mobility to his left side and his speech severely affected, when he has a seizure he still has a noticeable weakness to his left hand side, the neurologist still believes that these episodes are psychological, which seems to me that they can't explain them.
I believe that whatever happened in April is related. Do I ask any other questions or do I get him transferred to another hospital?
Kind Regards Antonio
If it were my child, I would ask that he be transferred, although it would be reasonable to see if these next tests clarify the situation. The Neurologist has not completely invented a concept, as there are some people that can have episodes that look like seizures when there is no abnormal electrical activity in the brain, also called pseudoseizures. However, it is reasonable to have some proof that these are pseudoseizures. Prolonged EEG recordings and particularly video-EEG recording would be the best method to prove whether these are pseudoseizures.
A sodium of 139 would not be at a level to cause seizures, unless there are rapid changes in the sodium level. However, if the sodium is more severely low at times, it would be appropriate to also pursue further evaluation of sodium metabolism, and it may require an Endocrinology consultation, as one of the main factors in sodium metabolism is a specific hormone, called ADH, and other hormone abnormalities can also affect sodium metabolism, including thyroid or adrenal disease.