Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have developed a large lesion on my tongue on the top and

Customer Question

I have developed a large lesion on my tongue on the top and side. It appeared during the day, initially bled n contact but has stopped, it hurts only moderately but has slightly grown. I do have pictures
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Please upload the pictures. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the photographs are taken three days apart, the second being today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as you can see it seems to have grown slightly although is less livid
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. This is a minor aphthous ulcer which is a small round or ovoid ulcer, 2-4 mm in diameter, having an ulcer floor that will be initially yellowish but will assume a gray hue as healing proceeds. It is surrounded by a red halo and some swelling. It will usually heal in 7-10 days, hence nothing to worry about. For relieving the pain and to speed healing, rinse your mouth using salt water or baking soda rinse (dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 cup warm water). Please avoid abrasive, acidic or spicy foods that can cause further irritation and pain. You may apply ice to the ulcer by allowing ice chips to slowly dissolve over the sore. Take care. Please rate the answer with a positive five star rating. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it caused by abrasion with teeth?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your reply. The exact reason for aphthous ulcers is not yet clearly defined but may be due to mechanical trauma such as abrasion with a tooth. Hence if the lesion persists even after a week, then consulting your doctor and having this examined is recommended so that such trauma may be prevented. Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Please don't forget to rate the answer with 5 stars. Thanks.