Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am a woman and I had unprotected sex with a man I did not

I am a woman and I had unprotected sex with a man I did not know that well on the 31st August. I am not a drug user and I have not engaged in further risky behaviour and I don't think he is a high risk person either.I had a test at 2 and half weeks it was negative and I've had a test now at 86 days and negative it's caused me so much stress and I was told by this length of time hiv would show and no need to go back.I'm confused as at the early test nothing would show up and is 86 days too soon......it is just over 12 weeks but not 90 days.......I tried to ask at the clinic and felt I was wasting time but I'm confused and anxious and worried and can't sleep.I've had no obvious symptoms of flu like but I just can't stop worrying H
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
86 days is not too soon, close to 3 months.
you don't have HIV.
both of your HIV tests are negative.
you don't have to worry about having HIV.
all of your HIV tests will be negative.
if you continue to worry, you should talk to your GP doctor about treatment for anxiety
or you might have to see a psychotherapist to talk about this fear of HIV that you have
there are medication treatments which can help bring down your anxiety symptoms
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems there are various different types of tests and window periods and I'm not sure about all this it's confusing. I know the first test was done probably early and I think you can have a test earlier than 3 months but I'm confused by it all , one person said go back on the 15 or 16 November someone else said 3 months and someone said something else but when I had test at 86 days she said it's within time limit and this is the test that counts.....is that correct ?......is this the test that counts and it was negative,are you sure 86 days is ok as I don't know the type of testthey use and It was at a sexual health clinic
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it can take 2-3 months for a person to develop antibodies to the HIV virus.
that is why HIV antibody tests have to be done 2-3 months after exposure.
if your 86 day HIV antibody test was negative, then you don't have HIV.
you need to stop worrying about having HIV.
yes, I am sure
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be a anti body test.......I'm confused as there seems to be different types of test and I am seeking help for anxiety
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes you most likely had an HIV antibody tests.
you need to get started on treatment for anxiety disorder
or else you will continue to worry about having HIV.
you don't have HIV.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was worried I told the clinic I had unprotected sex on the 24th of august and not the 31st of august........but the last test I had was done at 86 days and negative and this is the the test that will count. This would be long enough a 86 day test wouldn't it?.....I just can't stop worrying about it all.......its just the first was done at only 17 days and they might have thought it was 24 days.......but the 86 day was deffinately negative. .....is this long enough or should it have been done later?......is 86 days ok for a test?.......my anxiety is bad and the whole experience has made me unwell and never again will I be so stupid.I am normally a responsible person, but got divorced last year after 20 years and life has been hard for me to adjust
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are asking the same questions over and over again.
this is a sign of your anxiety disorder driving your worries.
I have told you that 85 days is enough to do an HIV test and know for sure you are HIV negative.
please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know and I'm sorry as I said the experience has made me unwell and I have a doctors appointment Friday to hopefully help my anxiety issues and thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician