Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have severe pains in my right rib cage. I have no appetite and have not eaten a proper m

Customer Question

I have severe pains in my right rib cage. I have no appetite and have not eaten a proper meal in 6 days. My doctor prescribed a blood test last week that indicated a virus. I am drinking plenty of water. My doctor has also prescribed co-codamol, bisacodyl and amitriptyline. I have a slight fever and only feel comfortable lying in bed. Any suggestions what is the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor hasalso prescribed a second blood test for tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Does the pain in the rib cage get worse with a deep breath?
Is the pain worse after oral intake?
Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shortness of breath. The pain does not vary with breathing but does vary with intensity. Yesterday the pain went away for 15 minutes and I thought that I was better, but it started again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the pain does not get worse with deep breaths
No the pain does not get worse with oral intake
No shortness of breath.
The pain is random, sometimes low and sometimes high pain. Laying still (in bed) seems to minimise the pain
Thank you for the additional information.
The pattern of symptoms that you describe is most likely due to a viral infection, and a blood test that also indicates a viral infection would make it even more likely.
It is common with a viral respiratory infection to get muscular pain that can occur in various locations of the body, including in the muscles between the ribs. Muscular pain will commonly be better when resting. It is also possible to get inflammation of the lining inside the rib cage with a viral infection, but when this happens, it would usually be made worse be taking a deep breath. It is also possible to get pain in the chest related to a pneumonia, but there would usually be some lung symptoms, such as shortness of breath. Since the pain is not worse with taking a deep breath and there is not shortness of breath, then it is likely the generic muscular pain that can occur with a viral infection.
If the Co-codamol is not helping ease the pain, then you can try to augment this with an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen. It also would be fine to apply moist heat to the rib cage, such as with a moist heating pad or soaking in hot bath water.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume the viral infection will just get better without medication.Thank you.
Yes, these respiratory viral infections will typically improve spontaneously. We can use medicines to ease symptoms, but these medicines will not accelerate recovery.