Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have just started bleeding. I believe I am in the menopause

I have just started bleeding. I believe I am in the menopause as have not had a period for 12 months. I started taking prempaq hrt on Friday as have been having a lot of problems with muscle and joint pains, as well as the usual hot flushes. I expected some bleeding from the hrt, but not within 2 days. Is this normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did take 2 months of hrt back in February March 2015 which was fine. However I was told I needed a review appointment with a nurse in order to get more. Due to appointments not being available for over 2 weeks I ended up stopping abruptly as my prescription had run out. As I had stopped I just decided not to re-start. Not sure if this was an issue.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is not considered normal to have bleeding within 2 days of starting HRT. Bleeding is common when HRT is given cyclically, particularly when the progesterone component is stopped as part of the cycle, which is referred to as withdrawal bleeding. Bleeding at other times may be benign, but it is considered something that warrants further evaluation to assure that it is benign.
Bleeding at other times can be due to a thickening of the lining of the uterus or from benign growths, such as polyps, but the greatest concern would be if it is related to cancerous or pre-cancerous growth of the lining of the uterus. The evaluation will be able to ascertain which of these conditions are contributing to the bleeding.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.