Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I regularly drink 2 litres of water a day and try to avoid

Hi. I regularly drink 2 litres of water a day and try to avoid eating chocolate and cakes. I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic.
If I start increasing the amount of sugar in my diet by eating chocolate or cake, I get a gentle pain in my side where my right kidney is. I also notice the colour of my wee is weaker. I don't understand this as I am not diabetic. Can you explain this please? Do I have to avoid eating anything sweet over the Christmas period?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Can you please enumerate all the tests that you have had done for your kidneys?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Blood test and ultra sound scan.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that your pain could still be related to your kidney as an ultrasound scan is not too good in picking up things like a kidney stone or a stone in the urinary tract.
Therefore I would recommend that you should have a CT scan of the abdomen to have a look at your kidneys and the urinary tract to make sure that is okay.
Meanwhile I would recommend that you should continue your increased intake of water.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me when you are done asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Could an increase of sugar intake effect the kidneys even though I am not diabetic? If this is unlikely, I may just be having muscle spasms.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Increased sugar intake should not affect your kidneys if you are not a diabetic.Yes I agree that it may just be muscle spasms.Let me know if you have more questions.Rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done asking.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answers.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.Wish you all the best.Kindest regards