DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a slight blood discharge from the rectum, its not a

I have a slight blood discharge from the rectum, its not a lot, its dark red, and having to change toilet tissue every few hours nwhich i am using to stop the blood getting onto my clothing
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello]You need to see your doctor.A short scope is indicated.If you have not had a colonoscopy, this is over due as well.Blood is not normalSee your doctor now. ASAP. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
If the bleeding stops you might not need to go in to the hospital right awaykeep an eye on it.If it resolves and you have no other symptoms of blood loss then wait to see your doctor tomorrow
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloWe can not examine youAs I said , see your doctor ASAP.However, given the level of bleeding, which is constant, and depending on how long, you are better off having it checked out today if possible.We would be making a guess to tell you to wait.I would be happier if you err on the side of safety.Find me anytime, Dr. Thomas, in medical, for safe, up to date, comprehensive, concise and correct answers.Just to give you an example, diverticulosis can start with oozing blood, then bleed out...I would not want to be responsible in this scenario to tell you to wait.In fact, the evidence that this could be serious is having to go for a bowel movement every few hours. i can tell you that as a clinical doctor [double board certified] of over 20 years experience, this can be an ominous warning sign. I would not wait on en evaluation, nor would I ever recommending waiting to see how it goes under such circumstances.I will also tell you that such bleeding at age 62, as opposed to say, 26, is much more concerning and potentially serious. Again, don't wait and assess whether you need to go in just on your own observation.Please click a positive on my answer page.Let me know if you have more questions.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.