Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a very sore lump on the top of my tongue like a boil.

I have a very sore lump on the top of my tongue like a boil. I only noticed it this morning but it has got worse. Eating and swallowing are difficult and painful. There is nothing special I have done in the past 24 hours. Maybe I bit my tongue while sleeping. Do you have any idea?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Possible from tongue biting or from spicy or harsh acidic food.Also smoking or alcohol can contribute to it.This sounds like an infected sore.Bacterial or fungal infection is possible.Another possibility is a stress ulcer --happens in times of physical or emotional stress.Over the counter topical Amlexanox ointment can be tried.Abreva ointment ( docosanol) also a good alternative to help with the pain.Better to see your GP if no improvement in next 2-3 days.Avoid any caffeine, spicy food for now.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns.The bulging of the neck can be due to the dilated blood vessel at that side.Aneurysm is a possibility --carotid artery aneurysm.This is a uncommon cause at your age but should be considered in the differential.The headache can be caused by the blood vessel anomalies.Other possibility can be due to the return of the migraine and bulging neck can be due to the muscle related abnormality.Yes you should see a neurologist and get a carotid doppler or MRI scan done.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/