Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Can i do anything else to prevent pre-eclampsia - i developed

can i do anything else to prevent pre-eclampsia - i developed it when i had my first child a daughter at 31.4 weeks. I am a type 1 diabetic aged 42 and have just discoveed i am 3.5 weeks pregnant. I am now taking vitamin d tablets- should i start aspirin too? I have been on atenol and amlodipine since the birth of my daughter.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
there is no one way to prevent pre-eclampsia. more research is needed on this.
One study shows that eating food bars containing the amino acid L-arginine and antioxidant vitamins lowered the risk of preeclampsia in high-risk women
Another study shows that overweight or obese women who gained fewer than 15 pounds during pregnancy had a lower risk for preeclampsia
you should talk to your doctor about these options and see if they make work for you
I would not start aspirin now.
the data for aspirin helping is late in the third trimester
your doctor may recommend a daily low-dose aspirin — between 60 and 81 milligrams — beginning late in your first trimester.
make sure you get enough calcium in your diet. patients in other countries who are low in calcium can get pre-eclampsia
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com