Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My friend plays football and yesterday he had pain on his right

Customer Question

My friend plays football and yesterday he had pain on his right ribs during practice that has subsided with using deep heat patches and ibuprofen. Today the pain has moved to his lower abdominal and groin area. It's painful on walking and bending. What can it be and what can he do about it please advice.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The most likely cause of pain that extends from the rib cage to the groin is a muscle strain affecting on of the long muscles of the anterior abdominal wall. The long muscles start at the rib cage and extend to the pubic bone. These muscles are also used to stabilize the core during a wide variety of exertions, including during football, walking, and bending.
It is appropriate to use rest and local care. Rest does not mean bedrest, but only to avoid exertions that use these muscles and cause pain. For the first couple days, the best local care is ice, and then after the first couple days, moist heat is better than ice. Moist heat will also work better than dry heat. The ibuprofen is also appropriate, although it may require a higher dose, and the ibuprofen can be taken up to 2400 mg per day, in divided doses. Wearing an abdominal binder can provide support to the abdominal muscles, so is also an option, but should not be applied so tightly as to limit the ability to take a deep breath.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.