Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

How can I get off the antibiotics I have been prescribed for

How can I get off the antibiotics I have been prescribed for years? This was as a result of a runaway Gamella morbillorum infection due to an injury to my knee which had been replaced with a prosthesis the year before. Been on them over 3 years now, but it is wrecking my health. GP refuses to even discuss. Help!
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
hi there, i am online and will be happy to answer your questions.i am sorry to hear about your problem. what antibiotics you are taking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been taking amoxicillin 250mg 3 times a day for over 3 years now. When I was in hospital for the original infection, they did 3 surgeries, my CRP went from 250 to 120 and finally down to 60 before I was discharged. My current CRP is 6 (last month).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In hospital, I was given loads of IV and injected antibiotics of various kinds, the amoxicillin is prophylactic and was prescribed post-discharge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, and I should add, it was the knee replacement consultant who prescribed it, which is no doubt why the GP refuses to discuss!
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your detailed reply.did you get any infection after knee replacement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't had any at all, no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told I had to take these "forever" ... but I think there must be some way I can reverse this situation.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
thank you .now that you do not have any infection, you do not need prophylaxis unless undergoing some surgical procedures. though you should get an exam from your knee consultant to check mobility of joint and need for stopping amoxicillin.it can be stopped immediately without tapering.please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
There is no evidence to suggest that patients with prosthetic joints undergoing procedures should receive antibiotic prophylaxis in the absence of other indications, such as heart valve disease requiring endocarditis prophylaxis or a surgical procedure for which antibiotics are given to prevent a surgical site infection.
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800Thanks for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? The thing that got me started was that my CRP was probably higher than 6 *before* anything else happened. But my GP before this one said it was only the prophylactic antibiotics I was taking that was keeping it so low. If you're saying I can stop them today, I am thrilled! I get my CRP checked every 3 months and I know it would have to get over 80 before I would be in danger... So you think that's okay? Just want to confirm!
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
yes, it is okay, and there is no indication for prophylactic in absence of other compelling indication.however , since i do not have your medical record etc.i would like you to get an appointment with your knee surgeon and get a physical and discuss need for stopping antibiotic. as i said earlier there is no evidence to suggest that patients with prosthetic joints undergoing procedures should receive antibiotic prophylaxis in the absence of other indications. but diabetes etc and other diseases should be taken into account before stopping it. I hope i am making sense to you
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience: MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you for this response! I will make the appointment with my knee consultant and hopefully, he will agree! Cheers!
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
you are very welcome. yes i really hope so. best regards.