Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Private Practice for 20 years.Specialized in emergency care, psychosomatic diseases,sexual medicine, acupuncture.
61885400

My question is about the tetanus injection which was

Hi... my question is about the tetanus injection which was injected into my arm. I understand that an injection must go through the muscle to work, but I have a cyst-like lump on my arm and was worried that the injection could have gone into this lump, and as a result not worked. Could this be possible? Can you help calm my nerves on this subject please as it is making me really worried?
Many thanks, Sarah.
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sarah, It is true that the injection should go into the muscle, because there are the blood vessels that bring the fluid into the system. But you don't have to fear that the injection was going into the lump. The doctor (or whhoever vaccinated you) felt fore sure where there was enough muscle to inject, and will definitely have felt the lump and injected somewhere else!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks. How long would an injection needle have been? Just to make sure that the needle would have reached the muscle if it had gone through the lump?
Do you have an normal weight or quite big arms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Normal weight.
Thank you. An inch is long enough to get safely into the muscle.