Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Yesterday evening Sudden and severe abdominal pain accompanied

Customer Question

Yesterday evening Sudden and severe abdominal pain accompanied by sudden fatigue and feeling very hot. Tried to relieve pain by burping. Not much eaten yekg sterday, no alcohol.
I am on medication for Atrial Fibrillation with 8mg Warfarin 50mg Candesartan and 7.5 mg Bisoprolol daily. Age 69, weight 73, height 1.75m. Diet not as good as it was last year while adjusting to loss of my spouse in Sept 2014
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Are you still having the pain and fatigue?
What was your temperature when you felt hot?
Have you tried anything to relieve the pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain disappeared within two hours. I decided to go to bed and I initially felt cold when in it. I did not take my temperature (no thermometer) but my cousin's phone app said my pulse was 102 on one test and then about 71. Two months ago I had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurism scan and the diameter was within the normal limits - my BMI is about 24 and I am a lifetime non-smoker.I tried unsuccessfully to move my bowels thinking that might offer relief, but could not. I have had anal fissures which were treated with surgery about five years ago. I am not sure what other information is relevant and useful to you. I took my normal medication, plus some Rennies, but did not take pain killers as they might be aspirin based or contain aspirin which is contra-indicated with the Warfarin
Thank you for the additional information.
If there was a fever, then it is vastly most likely that this is from a viral infection of the gut, called a gastroenteritis. A viral gastroenteritis is the most common cause of abdominal pain and can also frequently cause fatigue and a fever. A viral infection also can cause increased need for fluids, which can cause an increase in heart rate. The rapid improvement in symptoms would be consistent with a viral infection.
Since you did not take your temperature, it cannot be definitely stated that you had a fever, so there are other possibilities to consider, but the most common would be an acid irritation of the stomach or inflammation of the pancreas. With your history of ulcers, that would be a primary concern and taking something for relief of stomach acid would be reasonable if there is any recurrence of symptoms. It is important to note that someone on a blood thinner that develops an ulcer is at increased risk of bleeding. But since the pain resolved so quickly, this is less likely to be due to ulcers or another acid irritation syndrome.
With the spontaneous improvement in symptoms, it is reasonable to manage this as a viral infection, and the only intervention that would be necessary at this point would be to assure plenty of fluids for hydration and getting plenty of rest for recuperation.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.