Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am on the contraceptive pill cerelle, experiencing really

i am on the contraceptive pill cerelle, experiencing really bad symptoms and want to come off the pill. I had sex with my partner on sunday night, as it is a mini pill when am i able to stop taking the pill as the symptoms are getting worse?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The simple direct answer is that you can stop it any time to get relief from side effects as soon as possible. The use of the Cerelle to this point will have provided protection through the sexual encounter that occurred on Sunday night.
The only reason that it may get complicated is from the perspective of trying to transition to an alternative form of birth control and trying to assure a high level of contraception during the period of transition. If you simply stop the Cerelle without regard to the next method of contraception, then you should consider yourself as having to start from scratch for whatever new method of contraception is chosen. Certainly, it would be fine to use condoms alone during the period of transition, but when possible, we would prefer to use a form of contraception that is more highly effective.
When the side effects are more severe, then it is more reasonable to stop to Cerelle immediately, but if the side effects are less severe and/or can be controlled , then it would be reasonable to arrange an appointment with your doctor when possible to discuss a new method of birth control and arrange the transition.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.