Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

What is the best way to help a young girl with an alcoholic

What is the best way to help a young girl with an alcoholic step-father? My friend's husband has a drinking problem that I was not aware of. He was taken ill recently as a result of heavy drinking for several years. My friend spoke to me for support but
is now insisting that the drinking has stopped. I do not know if this is true or not. My concern is for the children. There is one daughter age 10 of this marriage and one age 17 from her 1st marriage. The 17yr old is very close to my daughter who has told
me that she is very worried about her. The 17yr old has moved out to her Father's due to rows/conflicts. She is crying at school, very stressed, unwell with high blood pressure and school work suffering. What is the best and most appropriate way to get help
for her?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, Thanks for your question. It will be beneficial for her to consult her school counselor or psychologist. Next if required she may be referred to a psychiatrist if medications are required for the depression and stress. She can also attend Al-Anon meetings in her location and these will be beneficial since they provide support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking. http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/ Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/public/what-alateen Alateen for teenage relatives and friends of alcoholics, and this is a part of Al-Anon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. I will pass it along
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, You are welcome. Thanks.