Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Good evening, I hope you can help me. I've been feeling rather dizzy and weak for

Customer Question

Good evening,
I hope you can help me. I've been feeling rather dizzy and weak for the last few weeks and 3 weeks ago overwent a chest infection. So went to have my tests done and here are my concerns: very high B12 (750 pg/mL), very low ferritin (10ug/L); super low vitamin D (9nmol/L), low MCHC (31.9 g/dL). There was a note that I have a mild lymphopenia. The rest seems to be fine. My questions:
1. I'd like to start supplementing Iron, in the past I was told to get Galfer, I didn't have any side effects but I wonder could you recommend easy on the stomach, high dosage, well absorbing supplements that I could get ?
2. Is the lymphopenia an effect of the chest infection? Should I do anything, get it checked again ?
3. I already bought vitamin D and vitamin K as I read that it is good to take them together.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
yes, you can use Galfer iron supplements again, one with vitamin C or
Ferrous Fumarate BP 305.0mg (equivalent to 100mg elemental iron) and you can take it with a vitamin C pill at the same time with food in your stomach
never take on an empty stomach. take with vitamin C as this helps with absorption.
lymphopenia means low lymphocytes. this is not a worry if your WBC counts are normal
there are many different types of white blood cells: neutrophils, macrophages, monocytes, lymphocytes, basophils, eosinophils, etc.
your bone marrows makes each as needed to help your immune system keep you healthy.
you you should be on vitamin D supplements and take with vitamin K
here is a good article
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/26/the-delicate-dance-between-vitamins-d-and-k.aspx
you can get vitamin K in leafy vegetables like kale or spinach. eat more of these vegetables.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your help. Just one more thing: I read that in order to increase ferritin one should take supplements for at least a year, in the past I used to stop after a few months. What would you suggest ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest taking it for 4-6 months and rechecking your ferritin in 6 months
eat more liver and beef and spinach as well, all foods rich in iron
good luck to you
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is I can't stomach liver or steaks :( even when I used to eat them my iron was low... Ah well, I'll do my best with veggies and everything else with iron in it.. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just one more question: does taking iron supplements can interfere with zinc, copper absorption, or is it just an exaggeration ? I didn't get tested for zinc or copper as those test cost a bomb in Ireland.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, taking iron supplements will not interfere with zinc or copper absorption.