Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a 5cm mixed mass on my left ovary, it has its own blood

Customer Question

I have a 5cm mixed mass on my left ovary, it has its own blood supply.
Ca125 blood test was normal.
I am 32.
I've had pain in left abdo for months, past few weeks severe and am on tramadol. I'm 60kg, was 62kg, but belly sticks out like I'm 5 months pregnant. I've been bleeding vaginally for 26 days. I had tried for over 2 years to conceive but nothing, despite previously being very fertile.
I have an appointment in a week and a half with a gynaecological oncologist.
If not ovarian cancer, what could it be?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.Normal Ca 125 is reassuring.This can be a benign endometrioma which can look like mixed mass in ultrasound .Still, this should surgically removed without any question.That should resolve the pain symptoms at least.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the likelihood of it being that or ovarian cancer.
As I am in the UK, what if they say 5cm is too small for them to remove it? Or they just want me to wait for another 4 months to see what happens?
I had an abdo x Ray in May and nothing showed but my ultrasound last week showed the 5cm mass.
Can dermoid cysts have their own blood supply or is that rare?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does an endometrioma have its own blood supply?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Dermoid cyst does not have its own blood supply usually.5 cm is a big enough to be removedgiven your symptoms.Yes endometrioma may have its own blood supply.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it's more likely to be endometrioma than ovarian cancer?
How common is endometrioma?
Does the fact that it's liquid and solids make it a complex cyst or is it a simple one?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
That is correct more likely endometrioma.still considered complex cyst.endometrioma can be seen in 10-15% cases
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, does the abdo X-ray in May that showed nothing mean that the mass has grown from nothing to 5cm since then, or do X-rays not show things like that like the ultrasound does? Thank you for your help. I'm so scared because I don't have enough knowledge about any of this!
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Xrays are not useful will not show any ovarian mass.Ultrasound is more reliable.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What specifically makes you confident that they will remove the thing rather than leave it?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Any symptomatic mass of 5 cm size with complex appearance is indicated for surgical removal as per current guidelines.Best wishes