Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

I had DBS surgery dystonia last December.

I had DBS surgery for generalised dystonia last December. Since then I developed startle myoclonus and initially would have an exaggerated startle response lasting for about two or three seconds in response to noise or movement but despite taking clonazepram, now when I am startled my legs or arms or both together will jerk very rapidly and continuously for about twenty seconds at a time. Just recently it has happened on a couple of occasions when I have been relaxing in bed after waking up when there has been no sound or movement. Is this normal for myoclonus, I am not due to see my neurologist again until April and am a bit concerned.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
yes, your symptoms do sound like startle myoclonus.
sometimes deep brain stimulation is used to treat severe cases of myoclonus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3036960/
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crinm/2014/937095/
is another report of deep brain stimulation helping someone who has myoclonus.
are your generalized dystonia symptoms better after deep brain stimulation?
what dose of your clonazepam are you using?
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.Welcome to the site.I am sorry to learn about your predicament and I empathise with you. I will like to offer my help by answering your query.Well from the clinical presentation of your symptoms, other than startle myoclonus , another close differential diagnosis is Anxiety attack/ Panic attack which may also bring about symptoms like shaking or tremors.So, i will suggest that you ask your doctor to get your EEG and EMG done, which shall help in describing the pattern of this myoclonus and help in its diagnosis or to rule it out as the diagnostic entity and there by shift focus on panic attacks as the revised diagnostic entity.In addition to this, ask your doctor to add depakene ( divalproex ) at dose of 300 to 500 mg once a day and also ask him to give you clonazepam in two divided doses of of 0.5 to 1 mg each dose.I hope this helps.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience: Doctor ( General Medicine)