Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What relief is there

Customer Question

What relief is there for Diverticulitis
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
A true diverticulitis refers to inflammation that is primarily due to infection. Some people get chronic abdominal symptoms from diverticuli that are not infected, although the more proper term for this is diverticulosis, rather than diverticulitis.
Are you referring to an infection of a diverticulum?
I had asked for some clarification and have not heard back.
If this is a true diverticulitis, due to an infection of a diverticulum, it would be important to be treated with an antibiotic. If the infection is more severe, then it may need IV antibiotics. And a severe infection that does not respond well to antibiotics may require surgery. Even with a mild diverticulitis, it would be better to be seen relatively quickly.
However, for diverticulosis, the usual first line treatment would be an increase in fiber in the diet, and it may need a significant amount of fiber, up to 35 grams of fiber. This can be done by high-fiber foods or by using fiber supplements.
If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
However, if I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/