DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a large indentation on the medial side of my right

Customer Question

I have a large indentation on the medial side of my right leg thigh. The skin inside it looks like it is stuck to the tissue underneath. If I push the surface of the front of my thigh towards the detnt it just stops and sits over the top until I release it. As I seem to be getting areas of what I presume to be cellulite on other parts of my thighs (increasing amounts over the last couple of months) I thought this was probably the same. I mentioned it to my GP last month because I have pain all down the medial area of my thigh especiallly in that area. She had no idea what it could be but as I was due to see a neurologist to do with a possible myopathy she suggested I showed it to him. He said he thought it might be morphea and suggested I could look it up on the internet. I did this and think it looks more like morphea profunda, how possible is this.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloPlease attach a picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for replying, I will take photos tomorrow and send them to you. I am not very technically minded but I'll do my best. I understand it would be difficult for you to advise without seeing what I am talking about.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
sure, I will be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay here goes with the photos. Please let me know if no picture arrives.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
what is your height and weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am 5ft 7 and 75kg

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OKI don't see anything terribly abnormal hereHas this been palpated [felt] by your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the gp said she had no idea what it was and the neurologist suggested morphed, I can send better photo showing how it looks with a little gentle pressure.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It does not look like morphea to me.Which, as you know, is localized scleroderma.It looks like fat necrosis which can simply happen from obesity, or injections previously at the site, etc.This should be easy to sort out; have your regular doctor run an ANA panel.If the scl antibodies are positive, then see a rheumatologist.If not, personally, I would then not worry about it. Maybe do an ultrasound of the area. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I also say that it has just recently started in the same place on the other leg, i can watch it developing and the original right leg one hurts quite a bit especially if I have been sitting on a hard surface or working with something on my lap. I already have 3 autoimmune problems for which I take medication - an untitled lupus like disorder (in remission but still taking prednisolone) underactive thyroid gland and antiphospholipid syndrome for which I take warfarin daily.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
In that case, essentially the same answer, I would see your rheumatologist and ask for an ANA panel making sure to check the scl antibodies, but, this does not look like morphea to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it is fat necrosis why does it hurt so much, every day, on the other hand does morphea hurt?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Pain is not charactersistic for either condition necessarily.This is a reason I say, also get an ultrasound.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will ask my doctor to send me for one but I can't see her til 29th December and I'm getting a bit fed up and worried to be honest. If I hadn't worried about the pain in my leg before dvt was diagnosed I'd be dead now. It was my persistence that saved me.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
An ultrasound, once again.And you should discuss this concern with your doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
anytimeany questions