Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My 4 1/2 month old boy started to poop very frequently in the

Customer Question

My 4 1/2 month old boy started to poop very frequently in the last 10 days or so. It went from 1-2 times a day to 10 times or more. This started at the same time he had a cold. His cold consisted of a runny nose and a cough. However, his poops were not "normal", most of the time they were tiny little bits of poop mixed in with mucus. His cold is now over but he continues to poop in this frequency. The consistency has changed. His poop is now more solid. There are still traces of mucus but the poop is usually quite concentrated, more than before this cold began. He has has no other symptoms (fever, loss of appetite etc.)
Today we noticed in two of his diapers, in the front (pee) area, two spots of what appears to be blood (pink/brown colour). Again, there are no other symptoms, apart from the very frequent pooping (now 7-8 times a day every day). Is there something that we should be worried about? A sign of infection?
Thank you in advance
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
blood in the urine can be a sign of a urinary tract infection.
these are more common in girls than boys, but boys still can get them
this frequent stools can be due to his prior viral infection which can also cause a viral enteritis which can cause more frequent stools mixed with mucus.
what is he eating? breast milk? formula?
you should bring him into his pediatrician or doctor to get his urine checked for infection. he might need a course of antibiotics.
he might need more pedialyte or pediatric electrolyte liquids in his diet to replenish his fluids to he doesn't get dehydrated.
that is a good sign his stools are more solid now.
mucus can be from his prior infection or irritation of his bowels
do get his urine checked for infection
let me know if you have questions.