Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My GP has diagnosed that I am suffering a water infection and

Customer Question

my GP has diagnosed that I am suffering a water infection and has prescribed a antibiotic called TriMETHORPIM 200mg this treattment is not working in fact I am feeling much worse than I was before U started taking this medecine
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. If the trimethoprim is not working at treating a urine infection, then the usual next step would be to change to a different antibiotic. If a culture was done, then the results of the culture would guide the selection of the second antibiotic. If no culture was done, then it would be appropriate to select an antibiotic that is stronger against the more common germs that cause urine infection, such as Cipro or Levaquin. Was a culture done?If so, would you be able to get a copy of the result?
I had asked if a culture was done and if the result was available and have not heard back.
If you do not know whether a culture was done, then you can check with your doctor and at the same time, you can inform your doctor about the fact that the current antibiotic is not working. If a culture was done, then your doctor can use the results to guide the decision on the next antibiotic. If no culture was done, then your doctor would still be able to prescribe one of the stronger antibiotics.