Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had pain in my right upper thigh 3 months

I have had pain in my right upper thigh for about 3 months now when I part my leg and especially when I try to put on my trousers, I am so afraid to see a doctor , my brother died of Ewing Sarcoma ten years ago , it only aches when I make certain movements like I said above but other than that not.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Is there any tenderness when you press on the thigh? If so, where is the tenderness?
Are you taking any medicines for any medical problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not at all it is not tender even if I bang on my thigh but only when I try to raise my leg or part my legs it starts paining , I have been taking anti depressent medications for about 12 years , Amitiriptilyn 10, Perphenazine 2 and Lorazepam 1
Thank you for the additional information.

The most common cause of pain in the inner thigh that is worse with certain movements is from a chronic muscle strain. This is sometimes referred to as a groin strain, since the muscles arise at the bone under the groin, but the muscles then extend down the entire inner thigh. It is also possible that there could be some inflammation of the tendon of the muscle where it inserts into the bone. There would usually be tenderness when pressing on the area of the tendon, but it is possible that a layperson may not be pressing in the exact location.

It is natural that someone with a family history of Ewings sarcoma would be scared that they also may have a sarcoma, but it would be rare for you to also develop Ewings sarcoma. It is statistically far more likely that this is a benign musculoskeletal condition, such as the chronic muscle strain. It is reasonable to manage it initially with some home interventions oriented towards a chronic muscle strain and see if it improves.

It may help to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It is OK to take an anti-inflammatory medicine with the medicines that you are currently taking. It also may help to apply support to the thigh, either with compression shorts that extend onto the thigh or the application of elastic bandage, such as an ACE bandage.

If these interventions promote healing and the symptoms resolve, then no further evaluation or care is necessary. However, if the pain persists, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain I am experiencing seems to be very deep and in my outer upper thigh , do you think it is still might be a problem with tendon or muscle?
I am sorry, but I thought you were describing a motion that involved the muscles of the inner thigh. If it is painful in the outer thigh, it is still likely muscular, but it would be a different group of muscles.

The home interventions noted above would still be appropriate for pain in any muscle group of the thigh.