Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am scheduled to have a lumpectomy 5cm sphere cancer

Customer Question

I am scheduled to have a lumpectomy 5cm sphere for breast cancer grade 1 with auxillary node op but I am too scared I have spoken to my oncologist but I am still scared I think I might cancel but I want to know if you could explain if after these procedures will I be in pain? I am really scared Thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concern.Lumpectomy is performed under local and regional anesthesia.There will not be any pain during or after procedure for at least 6 hours.Then, as the anesthesia wears off, you may feel some pain.But this will not be more than a tooth ache usually.Pain medications like narcotics will be prescribed by your surgeon to be taken every 6 hours as needed.That will control the pain easily.You will have a breast wrapping compression bandage for a week at least to prevent any swelling.That will also prevent any pain.So in summary, you have nothing to worry about pain given the great advantage of cancer cure.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already sent further a further payment when I requested information regarding anything to help with a day surgery anxiety to take when a pre med is not available due to day surgery also the risk of lymphodemia with auxillary nodes op (you answered my first question regarding a lumpectomy which was great) but I forwarded a further question regarding my anxiety without a pre med + lymphodema risk which is, as yet, unanswered - thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have forwarded a payment for each of the questions I sent by PayPal. Thank you
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
The risk of lymphedema is low about 2-5% following the surgery.This can be prevented with an upper arm stocking or compression bandage.You should also keep your arm elevated.Regarding anxiety control you can try lorazepam 0.5 mg one tablet 30 minutes before proecedure.The dose can be repeated following the procedure.It can be taken 3-4 times a day without any overt sleepiness.Best wishes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will be in touch - your great
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Very welcomeBest wishes