Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

After drinking alcohol yesterday I vomited up some dark blood.

After drinking alcohol yesterday I vomited up some dark blood. It was like a flem consistency. I had been drinking for about 4 hours and was quite drunk. I had no food in my stomach to vomit so it was just this flem that came up. I feel very worried today and my throat is quite sore today to swallow. I'm very scared something bad is going on.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.You likely inflamed your esophagus and stomach lining without any food.This is esophagitis and gastritis.There can be ulcer disease as well.Since no further incidence of blood or any dark tarry stool, then this is not likely serious.Still you should go to the local hospital for further evaluation.You can try over the counter Omeprazole twice daily and a liquid antacid 3 times daily to help with the symptoms.Should improve in a week usually.Avoid alcohol for now.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/