Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had severe diarrhea last 8 days now and despite

Customer Question

I have had severe diarrhea for the last 8 days now and despite taking Immodium and Dioralyte, nothing is helping. In fact it seems to be getting worse. I visited my GP but was told it was a simple stomach bug. But every night I am in extreme abdominal pain where I can barely move, and during the day the very top of my stomach is distended. Last night I had a fever. Also worth noting that I had a gastric bypass 7 years ago and have severe anaemia) which is getting much worse as I can't keep my iron tablets in long enough to absorb. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Fever, bloating, and persistent diarrhea suggest the likelihood of bacterial or parasitic infection.Food and water contamination main cause.Stool tests should be ordered by your GP.Antibiotic course with metronidazole and ciprofloxacin should be considered.Other possibilities include acute pancreatitis, gallbladder inflammation.You should drink plenty of fluids and avoid any solid food for now.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/