Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am prescribed by a GP 20mg of Valium, 4 x 500/30 co-codamol

I am prescribed by a GP 20mg of Valium, 4 x 500/30 co-codamol and 150mg of Sertraline a day, this has been the case since a very serious accident which occurred 3 years ago ad the PTS and depression which followed. I still suffer pain but I'm concerned that at 32 this is a lot of medication to be on. Just wanting a second opinion. The back pain is ongoing as due to leg reconstruction one of my legs is 2.5 inches shorter than the other and even with orthopaedic shoes I get acute lower back and hip pain, not to mention pain in the metal work of my leg which is particularly bad in the cold. The GP seems to think this is ok and I should continue. I really don't like taking drugs and this is a bit much. I was on Zopiclone for 2 years but through my own endurance got myself off that. Could I do the same with the rest and which should I tackle first. I suffer from insomnia and nightmares as well as pain and have had physio and CBT both of which have failed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that should be 8 x 30/500 mg of co-codamol - 4 x 2 pills a day.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I understand your concerns.Co codamol is a narcotic pain relieve with drowsiness, dizziness and brain depression properties.Valium helps with anxiety and insomnia with almost similar side effects.Sertraline is an anti depressant which also has anti anxiety properties.Regarding the pain management, since you failed Physio and CBT, co codamol is a good option.Since this dose is working you can try to lower the dose to see if you can tolerate pain or not.Minimum effective dose of these medications will avoid any untoward side effects as well as physical tolerance over time.Cocodamol dose can be lowered by one tablet every week to see how lower you can go without much pain.In your case, sertraline may not be an essential medication --so can be tapered to lower dose to prevent depression and anxiety.In case of valium better to continue at current dose since it helps with both sleep and pain to some extent.If you are able to work on cocodamol and sertraline over time, then only consider tapering valium. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/