DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Im looking advise can you help? My friend has

Hi Im looking for some advise can you help? My friend has stopped going to work, she stopped taking her daughter to school because first she was saying that she was gonna start home teaching, the school teacher came to her house realised she not well mentally , and took the kid to her dad, everyone around her can see she is not well , but she can't see that , she sometimes looses the reality and start saying things that there aren't there, people say we can't force to get treated but what can we do to help her then? She were always a great person, great mum always the best for her daughter and now she doesn't even care about her daughter, she sometimes feels like she is high and others she is crying plus sometimes she is aggressive aswell ,I think she got a serious depression, but what can we do to stop seeing her destroying her life? Please help
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
it sounds like she has schizophrenia if she is loosing reality around her and seeing things which are not there or hearing things which are not being said to her
she needs to see a doctor right away
in the UK, she could be sectioned into a mental hospital if she is a danger to herself or her loved ones
in this case, she is a danger to her daughter if she doesn't get treatment for her mental illness.
you can contact mental health organizations in the UK such as
http://www.mind.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/mental-health-helplines.aspx
you can also contact your local NHS office for help for your friend.
they may ask if you are a relative or not.
but if she doesn't have any relatives, you might be the right person to call the NHS to ask for help for her.
do you need help to find your local NHS resource center?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis does not sound specifically like skizophrenia.It sounds like bi polar illness.The high then low, even with hallucinations, is more characteristic, and in the 1980s it was discovered to be a mistake to treat this with anti psychotics, as opposed to lithium. The more recent mood stabilizers and new antipsychotics have also shown usefulness.The GP is the first focus for a "sectioned" admission in the UK.Simply contacting her GP and letting him/her know of the concerns is the first step.Here is an article on this process.http://patient.info/doctor/compulsory-hospitalisation This initially occurs only for a very short period, but if assessments require a longer hold, then that is arranged.In fact, this can probably be treated outpatient as you are not describing anything dangerous.That said, suicide must be considered a risk and this should also be discussed with her doctor.The "high" side of bi polar can cause many problems and endanger the patient. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the problem is that she says she doesn't need no help, can we force her to get help? I had missed whole week of work to be with her trying to tell her that she needs help and that her behaviour is not normal but she just doesn't care and she even saying that she is doing that to save her daughter and we are the ones that need help, sometimes it looks like she is going to faint , she is so pale, and 5 minutes after she is listening to music very loud and she is always drinking a lot of water
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
In fact, I would get all family members together and get on the same page.As I said above, her GP can initiate a hold IN the HOSPITAL. Ok?Her immediate next of kin, or responsible party, needs to call the GP now.I would state that he is not quite with reality, and that you are worried about her harming herself.If you put this in writing to the doctor, it will have even more effect.If you see imminent danger, you can call emergency/police, and they will also initiate the process.I know this is difficult.Trying to convince her to do it on her own is not productive, clearly.I am a double board certified clinical doctor of over 20 years of taking care of patients hands on.See my profile.Please don't forget a positive rating.....at the top of the answer page.Let me know if you have something further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where she is actually registered on gp , I know her last one but she moved house , is there any way that I can find out but she probably won't tell me.... Police been in her house already once but they said that they couldn't not force out of her house without her consent even if they know that she is not well that's why I'm desperate to try and find a solution to see someone before she does something bad
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You can talk to the last GP.Her relatives probably know the current one.The doctors, and the police, are more likely to listen to a family member.The GP, any other doctor she has seen, or any mental health care professional she has seen can also help with the process. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Take a look at this:http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/mentalhealthservices/Documents/Detention%20_Under%20_The%20_Mental%20_Health%20_Act%20_Factsheet.pdf This is very clear and shows you the facts.Again, I suggest you get more people than yourself involved, especially family members.Please click a positive rating: see the scale at the top of the answer page for Dr. Thomas.Find me as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't got any relatives in the country they are all back home , I been talking to one of her unties but the can't travel because one of them had a Stroke a few years back and she is having treatment at the moment, her mum died and she s not talking to her dad so don't know about him, is just difficult this situation, one of her friends already came from back home to help me talking to her but no success aswell
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
One will have to be observant and diligent.Her state needs to be reported to her doctor, current or previous.And any worse behavior, again reported to the authorities.Good luck. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome any time and you can find me in medical by request.Please, again, we are only paid per positive rating.Please at least click one answer positive: you can do that on this post: top of the answer page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I keep on seeing to rate on the top of the answer but there's not for me to click on
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It is a one to 5 usually or smilely faces.Let me know if you can't do it, and if you want to rate excellent, good, etc.That is usually how they are labeled.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
5 stares is what I see on my end.A positive is 3 , 4, or 5 stars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would choose excellent but still nothing for me to click lol
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I will report thisWhen this happens you can get help from customer service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And got an email saying I been charged already
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
That is the deposit.once you rate me, I am paid by ja.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok, but do you need me to do anything for that to happen?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Yesclick 5 starsThe rating scale is at the top of the answer page.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But still nothing shows , what else can I do?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I don't know: customer service can help from your end. I will report this to the moderators.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done it sorry
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
GreatIf there was a specific problem, let me know.Good luck.Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, thanks again