Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Please can you assist, my 6 year old son, has just woke in

Please can you assist, my 6 year old son, has just woke in the middle of the night with a terrible cough that sounds more like a dog barking. His temperature seems normal, he is complaining that his throat feels blocked.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
it sounds like he could have a croup cough which is a viral infection of the voice box which can cause a bark like cough
you should bring him to see a doctor.
he might benefit from over the counter robitussin or mucinex or delsyn cough medications which can be bought at local pharmacy or drug store.
make sure he drinks enough fluids.
if over the counter cough medications don't work, then his doctor will have to prescribe stronger cough medications
make sure he has vaccinations to whooping cough as well
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response, here is where is gets a little tricky we are currently an expat family living in Guinea, West Africa. The doctors and medical facilities are not great but we can get hold of almost any kind of medicine from the pharmacies
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
try to get cough medications like robitussin or mucinex or delsyn cough medications to see if they help
usually croup cough will get better on its own.
make sure he drinks plenty of fluids and water.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com