DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dr THOMAS HAS THE QUESTIONS and I only wish to speak to him

Customer Question

Dr THOMAS HAS THE QUESTIONS and I only wish to speak to him Malcolm Redman
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloOKSo you saw my last answer about taking DHEA, which is likely to increase cortisol.However, the percentage increase from DHEA alone is usually not that largeDHEA is converted by one pathway to testosterone.This can be interrupted from estrogens, flax seed, licorice, progestins, and other factors such as PCB toxicity, chronic alcohol use and other factors.What further questions do you have?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from you.
did you have another question?
Please click a positive rating so that I am paid for my answer by just answer.
Also let me know what other questions you have. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.just one more question please My intention was to take 7-kato- DHEA Is it correct to asume therefore that the tetosterone levels will not be forced up. In my limited understading of the 'Ying and Yang' see -saw of DHEA and Cortisol sharing the same pathway no one knows what mechanisms decide the split. If I take 7 Kato DHEA is it possible that as it gros the cortisol levels may decrease. or does oral consumption work in a different way to the adrenal DHEA.
Based on actual hard experienced and evidence if I can not bring down my Cortisol instead of being one in thousand i will be art of the 1000 Any other advice you can give on reducing my Cortisol willbe much welcomed and paid for.Many ThanksMalcolm
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
No
There is no evidence to support the use of 7 keto
DHEA is naturally metabolized to it.
It is not necessarily going to affect cortisol, but nor is DHEA
Even if DHEA raises cortisol, there are many factors that tend to convert it to an inactive form.
The substituation of 7 keto is still something being investigated.
7 keto might or might not increase testosterone. Still an unknown.
In theory, it can feed back and prevent regular DHEA from being converted, thus again feeding back on pregnenalone conversion, upping cortisol potentially, or, increasing the production of DHEA sulfate.
IN fact since cortisol is rapidly used up, having a higher cholesterol within the normal range is not necessarily problematic.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY QUESTION is: what you would do in my position to reduce your CortisolThank you for all your efforts but can I please ask the ultimate question. To still be alive in my 9th year of this disease is statistically rare. I have no doubt (with concrete measurements to support my statement) that having a low Cortisol level of around 15 was a major factor and with my background I am not given to unproven flights of scientific fantasy.My Cortisol now at 30 has accelerated my PSA rapidly to by far its fastest rise ever and essentially it is the velocity of this exponential Increase in PSA that is the real warning sign.I am absolutely sure that my life expectancy without being able to limit my Cortisol to a much lower level than at present will kill me much sooner rather than later.WHY – Over eight years every single measurement of a sudden increase in my Cortisol has been accompanied by an increase in my PSA. I have due to frequent testing recognised this and on removing the suspect item from my diet both Cortisol and PSA have immediately dropped back to their previous level. This has happened on seven different occasions and the figures are beyond dispute.I realise you have my welfare at heart and as a main researcher at our main UK cancer hospital (The Royal Marsden) said we haven’t got the faintest idea of the reason(s) you are still alive. Such nobody in the world has it’s a complex area. However if only for me alone as limiting Cortisol (a proven carrier) has been a key factor in my survival.Why have I come to you – Most doctors and many endocrinologists in the UK don’t appear to realise you even have adrenal glands or ignore the fact presumably because it’s all to complicated (which of course it is)I can only ask you to please help in any way you can.Many thanks and once you have answered I have no problem at all in rating you at 5 sending full payment.Kind regardsMalcolm Redman
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
First, a spot cortisol is not an accurate measure.What type of doctor is doing this with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am doing this all on my own just as I have managed my metastatic prostate cancer afte the addition of Zoladex. what I am not getting over to you is that NOBODY IN THE WORLD HAS ANY ANSWERS TO METASTATIC PROSTATE CANCER CANCER (DOUBLY SO WHEN LIKE ME IT HAS SPREAD TO THE SPINE
The frequent logging of my PSA and My cortisol (even if only for me) has shown that th Exponential rate of increase in my PSA is prportioal to my cortisol levels A level of 30 will be fatal. I dont mean to ber rude but statistically I would have died within ayear or two with the cancer invading my spine.Above all else I must get my cortisol back down and apart from goo sleep and exercise I do not know what to do.If so far I had listened to allother expert medical advice I would died years ago thats nobodys fault but due to very frequent
rfecordings of PSA and cortisol I have been fotunate to spot the linkbetween the two as it affects me.I appreciate that if there is nothing you can safely (or quantify the risk of using) suggest to reduce my Cortisol we must call it a day and again within thr who;e of the medical profession as with my caner accept the state of knowledge regarding my problems has not even reaced the starting line and may be its so complex it never will.Thank you for your help but you have had to leave me in a state of little hope.Which doctor am i dealing with
well not the one who did not read my file and suggested an increase my Testoserone, not the one who slid below his desk mobile on knees to text while i was explaing my condition and not the one who picked up the file of a seriously ill man and reccomended that I have radiation treatment with a then stagnent PSA. Now you can see why I tried my luck on line and i thank you for trying so hard but in effect you have indicated that thee is no chemical way og reducing my cortisone and that makes me sad as I have no wish to sucumb to my cancer when i feel that the exp medical profession shoul some know a little more about containg cortisol.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
My question was to determine why you have not had the correct testing.A spot cortisol is more or less useless at a level of 15.And scientifically, good judgements can not be made on that basis. As an aside, I want to point out that we do not replace your doctor on this site. That is stated all over the site. In addition, I have never taken care of you as a doctor, and I have no relationship to the doctors that apparently have you upset. I answer specific questions.And, I do a very top level job at it. In this case, that level does not necessarily reflect a high level over all.A 24 hour urine free cortisol is needed for an accurate baseline. and you might even be mid to low normal.Next, a saliva cortisol protacol needs to be done. You might be on the higher side one part of the day, and on the lower side other parts of the day.Depending on these results, you might need adrenal support, for example, which takes the stress off of the adrenals and smooths out the levels.This is in the area of functional medicine trained doctors, and they in fact will listen to your goals.We have trained at least one our two groups in the UK in functional medicine.You can call herefunctionalmedicine.org, the institute of functional medicine, and find out those contacts.That is essential, that you have a trained doctor helping you. For now, what you can do on your own.Stress reduction, including biofeedback if needed. Although, there are many ways to do this.A nutrient dense, anti inflammatory diet.The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like thisleafy greensgreen veggiesother veggieswhole fruit, beans and peasWhole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refinedSeeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.A little tofu or tempeh dailyA little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurtThe soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.Also see his book, Super Immunity, for the cancer.You can have your magnesium level checked, and if this is less than 2.5, you need more adequate supplementation.Vitamin D levels should be at least 40.Beyond that there are many measurements and treatments that must be individualized to you. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the nutrient dense , anti inflammatory diet, itself lowers adrenal stress.This is a pre-requisite to any hormonal or supplemental manipulation.I am board certified in integrative medicine, in internal medicine, as well as being trained in functional medicine.The web site I gaveyou will have a practitioner list on it. If you need more UK than you can find, call the institute.Curing metastatic prostate cancer is not impossible but requires very specialized approaches, whether they are conventional, alternative, or integrative.Good luck.Find me anytime.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Here are normal spot cortisol levelsFunctional medicine goes a step further and looks at 4 levels and ranges throughout the day.Based on characteristic patterns, how the adrenals should be treated becomes a consideration. Morning - 7-28 μg/dLAfternoon - 2-18 μg/dL