DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

SPECIALIST GI DOCTOR NEEDED WITH EXPERIENCE OF GIARDIA

Customer Question

SPECIALIST GI DOCTOR NEEDED WITH EXPERIENCE OF GIARDIA Hi there. I have a second case of Giardia and am feeling very low about things. I contracted Giardia back in May took Metronizadole and thought it cleared up I had lingering IBS like symptoms for a
while which did eventually settle an antigen test also confirmed i was giardia free However, during the course of year i was getting more run down than normal and while my stomach was broadly OK i never quite felt it was perfect. spool forward to late october
and on a holiday to dubai i suddenly got a really upset tummy again not chronic but just very unsettled i also had a very specific bad taste in my mouth (bitter) i also had achey legs/joints i also had a slight head-achey feeling i also had GERD from stomach
acid. i re-tested for giardia and hey presto, POSITIVE. I am now on day 2 of a 3 day course of tinizadole i am feeling slightly better but my case has never been one about chronic diarreah - it has been more about the sense of general malaise and this odd
taste in my mouth + gerd + soft stools in the am + skin itchiness MY QUESTION a)while my immune system is fine (they tested it) can one just be UNLUCKY and get a form of giardia that can come and go? b)if the 3 day course doesnt work what next? c)do giardia
symptoms vary person to person? i think this is the oddest bit of my diagnosis as it took my intuition to work out it could be giardia d)my family are finally being tested - i will be interested to see if they test positive too. e)is re-current infection more
likely once youve been infected previously? I am seeing a top london GI specialist 2moro but he was rather sceptical the first time i saw him so was surprised when i tested positive again!! Any specific tests i could ask for?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloOne can be unlucky and get exposed to giardia repeatedly.If your course does not work, see an infectious disease specialist.Symptoms vary person to person.You should have your family tested.No, reccurance is based on exposure and your susceptability. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HERE ARE MY BLOOD RESULTS which i had when i got back from dubai
the doctors at the time said it is GERD but on re-reading do any of the results make you think of Giardia?
i take statins (lipitor) as my only drug 40mg.
My kids and wife are being tested this week with both microscopy and antigen tests at a top london facility.
what other tests could the specialist request? could they work out what strain of giardia i have?
can you give some more detail on this. thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is nothing pertinent on these labs. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok final question - what specific questions should i ask the GI specialist? should he test the strain of giardia? anything else?
thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You should ask the same questions you asked me.He does not need to test the strain....unless he thinks it will affect the choice of anti paracytic.Usually it does not. , please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i suppose i am trying to work out if a)i never got rid of the giardia back in may despite the negative antigen or b)if i got re-infected. I don't quite understand why i would be more susceptible than others?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You reason for susceptablity more than others is an unknown.More exposure is the other possible. factor.Lab error is a remote possibility.Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you mean - some people just get things more than others? ie that's lifei agree re more exposure - dubai clearly has giardia so possible link therei suspect rather than lab error it is possible i did clear the giardia back in may but perhaps not all of it - it has then re-appeared.anyway, i plan to ask the GI if a)tinizadole doesnt work what we will do b)whether i should take a combination therapy as that is often the second line of choice in the UK when the first line doesn''t work.thanks will rate you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just thought you should know i've been prescribed a sandwich therapy of tinizadole + albendazole for 5 days + tinizadole ...it is apparently the main approach being taken by the london school of tropical medicine for first line resistant giardia. It is apparently now very common for the metronizadole approach to not be very effective. fingers crossed.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for letting me know!