Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I hope you can help. I fall ill quite often, I'd say every

Hi, I hope you can help. I fall ill quite often, I'd say every two months on average. This has been like it for about 4 years now. When I get ill, it will usually last just couple of days, but I'm terribly achy all over, especially my joints and legs. Then I'll always come out in a rash, red dots, not itchy, not flaky and cannot feel them with fingers. The rash will over few hours spread so much it becomes patches, it's always on the sides of my torso, on the sides of my neck and around my armpits and in on the sides of my crotch, just under belly. It's not painful and when it comes out I instantly feel better. I sometimes wake up feeling better and know if I go and look in the mirror I will be covered in the rash.
During time of being ill I'm usually really blocked up with sore throat sometime chest.
I have been examined with various doctors, best success was when one determined that I had previously overcome a streptococcal infection. She then examined me further for ASO (anti strep bodies count) and found it was really high. She put me on a long course of antibiotics couple of time, including penicillin and the ASO went down but has fluctuated ever since. I don't really know what to do but it's very frustrating getting ill so easily even after changing my diet and lifestyle!
Do you have any idea on how to help?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Do you have enlarged tonsils in your throat or are they present? I am asking because in adults sometime they regress. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I believe i dont. I cannot see them. Could I send you photos of the rash?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes please you can send. Please send the picture of your throat as well. You can do it as follows;1. Click the paperclip icon2. Click the Browse icon3. Click the Browse button4. Select your file and click Open5. Click OK6. Click Insert7. Click Save Changes on this pageRegards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** attached.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Can you please send tonsils area picture? Which treatment has been given so far and for how long?What is your ASO titre value in the recent test? Have they evaluated your kidneys and heart as well?I am sorry but for best answer I need this info in detail. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes, absolutely I don't mind, it makes sense. Mmy ASO value was 512 last time in the summer. It was around 450 before that and over 500 before that. Two years ago in spring I wad given a 2 month course of penicillin treatment - 1 week of full 3x a day and remaining 6 weeks 1x a day. Then the following winter I was given another course of antibiotics for the same length of time following a blood test showing bacterial infection and throat swap with gold stafilokokus. It was a different antibiotic, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it.
My kidneys have been checked within my blood tests I assume, I also gave urine samples on several occasions including this summer and when examined last week, it didn't come back with an infection. My heart has not been specifically checked.
I attach pictures of the tonsils area, I tried my best to show them as much as I could.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Your symptoms are absolutely consistent with streptococcal infection. Recurrence indicates that there is a reservoir of infection somewhere in your body and tonsils are the most likely area. I do have suggestions for you but definitely your doctor will look into it to see if they are feasible for you. 1. You should see an ENT doctor to get your tonsils examined, even if they are small they should consider removing them to eliminate the possible reservoir. 2. You should be put on long term antibiotics injection regimen which should be stopped only when your ASO goes to normal. 3. You should ask your doctor if assistance of dermatologist and infectious disease specialist can be of any help. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I just have couple of further queries. My "problem" is that my blood results come back very good with CRP not showing infection so they don't want to treat it. The swap of my throat and nose have also come back negative except for once when they prescribed me antibiotics and the level of the found stafilokokus was very low and I was told that many of us carry it in our nose of mouth and its normal.
My question to you is - are you assuming the streptococcal infection because of the rash? Or just because of the high ASO?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And another question, sorry - what does ENT stand for?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your input. As per this new info provided by you in my opinion raised ASO is due to streptococcal infection and rash is a manifestation of it. ENT means Ear, Nose & Throat specialist. Your feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards