Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My son is midway through mainstream treatment accompanied

Customer Question

My son is midway through mainstream treatment for iritis accompanied by merc sol and now arnica. It seems to have cleared up but he is always rubbing both eyes.
Our next hospital appt is in a week's time but he is showing side effects in behaviour and bowel problems (he is autistic and allergic to penicillin since he had it as a baby and has had, I think, IBS ever since). We have been warned treatment should often continue for 6-8 weeks and I hate the thought that he may be taking Pred Forte and Mydrilate and Maxitrol ointment for that long.
Can I just stay with homeopathic remedies now?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
any other medical issues?
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I have called you twice but your phone is on answering machine. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If calling me on 01205 751112 doesn't work can we go back to doing this by email?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry this one also not working. Don't worry, I am going to answer your question here and you can ask anything if you want. Rubbing the eyes means that he is still having the problem but the side effects that you have mentioned are not due to the ointments. Ointments in eyes are never significantly absorbed to cause systemic side effects. I would like to reassure you that you don't need to worry about the side effects as they are not related to ointments and would strongly suggest you to continue the ointments as prescribed. Remedies are never trust worthy because they are never scientifically proven but the ointment are approved medicines. Please continue them as prescribed and gradually he will feel better. I wish your son good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am finding this site hard to use and don't know which of my communications has got through and when.I would like to discuss my son's medications further if you are willing.
I can help. What is your remaining question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The medications I am most worried about are not the ointments but the Pred Forte steroid drops and the Mfdrilate. I understand the danger with the lens as the reason for the second despite the known side effects on IBS but the manufacturers of Pred Forte indicate that the steroid can enter the system by recommending that the tear duct is depressed with the finger for 60 seconds after the drops go in. My son's eye is not quite the same as his other (it is not quite so wide open if one looks closely) but the improvement happened about 10 days after the start of the Pred Forte ie about a week ago and there has been no change since. What are the dangers of stopping either or both the Pred Forte and the Mydrilate now?
There is really no danger other than recurrence of the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told at the beginning of the treatment that iritis is likely to recur and the cause is not known. Thank you very very much for your answer.
you're welcome.Yes, it may recur if the treatment is stopped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And it may recur after the treatment is stopped at 6 weeks?!
possibly. yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wonder if the 6-8 weeks is a compromise time between wanting to continue the treatment as long as possible and recognising the dangers of lengthy treatment. When the cause is unknown It's a bit of a guess unfortunately isn't it?
that is correct. It might be that was the initial thought by his doctor. The only person to answer that is going to be the doctor. you will have to ask him/her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. One has to be careful questioning busy doctors who have prescribed something already. That's why I wanted a second opinion.I don't suppose you do have a homeopath on your panel !
Not that I am aware of. Sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am a lot more satisfied than I was initially because your answers have addressed every part of what I asked both clearly and concisely. even if my fears that there is no black and white in this have been confirmed!
welcome :)