Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a swollen face and my eyeballs have enlarged.

Hello. I have a swollen face and my eyeballs have enlarged. Do you think that there is a disorder with the nerves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm happy to continue waiting
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Although I can say that this symptom typically is not due to a problem with the nerves, a complete discussion of the potential cause would require further information.
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you have any evaluation for this?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had this problem for six years. I have minor scoliosis as well. I have had my thyroid tested which came back as normal.
Are you taking any medicines for the scoliosis or any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking medication for schizophrenia, but I know it doesn't effect my face as I've had this problem years before I started taking it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some people like a dentist and herbalist I've seen say my face feels very tight when they touch it
Thank you for the additional information.
There are several issues to consider in this situation.
While there are some medical conditions to consider in this situation, it is possible that this is your normal appearance. Some people have more prominent facial features or eyeballs. Since you have noticed this for 6 years, that would mean that this has been your appearance for your entire adult life, which also means that there is no good baseline appearance for comparison. The tightness is more suggestive that there is some swelling, but the underlying facial structure may be normal for you.
From the perspective of medical causes, the primary concern would be certain metabolic conditions. It is good that your thyroid blood tests were checked, as that is the most common cause. It also could be related to adrenal hormone abnormalities, although there would usually be other symptoms beyond just the face. The metabolic changes that occur with kidney disease also can cause swelling in the face. Blood tests would be the first step to assess for these metabolic changes.
It is also possible for these symptoms to be related to an inflammatory conditions, such as certain autoimmune conditions. Although a complete evaluation is more involved, the first step would be blood tests that are generic measures of inflammation.
Allergies also can cause facial swelling, although the symptoms would usually be variable over the course of 6 years.
As I said above, it is not a typical presentation of a problem with the nerves, so there is no reason to pursue any neurologic evaluation.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told by a facial orthotropist that it is caused by mouth breathing and that my maxilla has down swung, so he doesn't think this is my normal face. However, I thought I would try a neurologist as a therapist said it could be a problem with the nerves. But thanks for your answers anyway I will get some blood tests done as I am certain there is something going on with my face. It even feels very tired and fatigued alot.
You are most welcome. Thank you for using JustAnswer.
There are many possible causes of tiredness and fatigue, but metabolic and inflammatory conditions certainly can also cause these symptoms.
If done for now, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.