Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have had constant acid-reflux type symptoms constantly since

Customer Question

I have had constant acid-reflux type symptoms constantly since June, and very frequently for the last three years. I have discomfort when breathing, gurgling, discomfort when swallowing, and sometimes chills and rapid breathing. Three years ago during a period of intense anxiety I swallowed very small amounts of Dettol and household bleach and am wondering whether this is the cause. I did have sysptoms of acid relux before this though (dentists had noticed signs of tooth enamel wearing away. I am worried about having caused the damage myself, though my doctor doean;t think this is the case, but none of the standard medications for reflux have made any difference. An endoscopy three years ago didn't show any signs of damage but I'm worried I might have torn my oeshophagus
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
swallowing small amounts of chemicals 3 years ago would not cause you to have acid reflux symptoms now
however, severe anxiety can cause chest pains, shortness of breath symptoms and can cause your stomach to produce more stomach acid.
excessive stomach acid can cause acid reflux and esophagitits inflammation of your esohpagus.
if you are able to eat and swallow food, you don't have a tear in your esophagus
you need to avoid foods which worsen stomach acid like spicy foods, alcohol, sodas, oily and fried foods, black pepper,
you might need treatment to help lower anxiety symptoms as well
you might need to get testing for H Pylori infection in your stomach as well
let me know if you have questions.