Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I sprained my ankle on a treadmill nearly 3 weeks ago.

Customer Question

Hi, I sprained my ankle on a treadmill nearly 3 weeks ago. My ankle went under me which I landed on. I went to the hospital & had an x-ray which ruled out a break or fracture and given crutches. It still is considerably swollen like a tennis ball on the side of my foot and swelling on the other side. I certainly couldn't put a shoe on for the volume of swelling. It went through a range of colours from bruising in the first 2 weeks. I am able to put my toes down but definitely not my heal. I stumbled yesterday & put my foot flat to the floor, the pain made me want to be sick & pass out & my ankle ballooned more. It feels like pins & needles and the skin feels very tight. I think it's a grade 3 sprain as it's still so swollen and my foot has been rainbow colours. I'm been following the RICE method since day 1,I am now on day 18. I am just wondering whether this is all perfectly normal and what I should expect after a bad sprain? Thanking you in advance for any advice Mel :)
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 months ago.
This is Dr. David
this does sound like a very bad sprain.
I'm glad you are resting and icing and elevating your ankle.
you need to elevate your ankle up as often as you can.
you should ask your doctor for a support boot to help so you can get around with such a swollen foot.
I'm glad you had an xray.
it can take weeks and weeks for a bad ankle sprain to calm down.
if there is a lot of swelling in the ankle, you shouldn't be compressing the ankle, the swelling is needed because of the inflammation from the injury. compression can cause more pain and cause more inflammation and cause it to take longer to heal
keep elevating as often as you can
keep using those crutches
let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 12 months ago.
HelloThis is a different expert and I have a different answer for you.THis is at least a grade three sprain.An MRI is indicated.Relying on A&E is not correct.An orthopedist needs to look at this. This will determine and justify the need for MRI imaging.MRI excludes microfractures and ligaments that might need surgical repair.Orthopedic evaluation. is essential.The correct structural therapy is often needed.Do not wind up having a permanent problem. Some sprains need 2 weeks of immobilization. Particularly if there is now tendinopathy developing. Do NOT simply wait this out!! Talk to your GP today. Please click a positive rating.I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Find me anytime in medical for correct, precise, accurate and up to date answers.
I have not heard back from you.Request Dr. Thomas any day of the week.Please don't forget a positive rating...or I don't get paid for my expertise.Make sure the rating is on my answer page.Thanks