Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am concerned about my throat. I feel like I have a lump

Hi, I am concerned about my throat. I feel like I have a lump in the back of my throat, however, eating and drinking relieves it and I feel ok until some time after. It's only when I swallow my own saluter I feel like there is a lump there. I'm terrified that it could be cancer. I can swallow no problem. I e had this on and off since July this year. Seen my doctor and he just gave me strepsles which didn't make any difference because I don't get pain with this. I don't know what to do or think
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
very unlikely to be cancerThe reason why is that cancer almost always causing obstructive symptoms like difficulty swallowing.This is likely related to a problem with the muscles contracting in that area.You need to have a barium swallow done. This is where you swallow barium and they take pictures with an xray
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. Now I know what I need to do. I did have acdf spinal surgery in 2014 so I don't know if it could be related