Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife has had three pneumothorax in the last five weeks.

Customer Question

My wife has had three pneumothorax in the last five weeks. She is still having difficulty breathing. She has also had a powder injected into her chest (talc) which has not worked. I am told that she needs an operation at Sheffield hospital which my wife's doctor refers to vax or similar. I need to get something sorted as my wife has suffered enough. I am prepared to examine the use of private practice. Any help or advise will be appreciated.
Stuart mason
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I am not sure what you need to get sorted, but I can comment upon the care that has been provided to this point. The surgery to which they are referring is VATS, which stands for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery. When someone has persistent or recurrent pneumothorax, then VATS is the preferred surgery. It is true that most cases of pneumothorax will heal with a chest tube/drain and when there is a recurrence, the first effort is to use something to induce scarring, such as the talc. So, the care that has been attempted to this point is the appropriate care, and the next recommended treatment with VATS is the usual next step. Even if you were to seek consultation with a private practice doctor, the recommendation would likely be the same. Does this address what you were seeking?Or is there any other information that would be helpful?
I have not heard back whether there was any additional information that would be helpful.
Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.