Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

My partner has had part of his small intestine removed and

Customer Question

My partner has had part of his small intestine removed and a colostomy bag fitted. However, he has just passed faeces through his anus. How can this be?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about your concerns. If this was just a recent surgery, it's possible that he had some stool left in his lower colon that has passed out the anus. If not recent, it's possible that he has developed a "fistula". A fistula is a connection between 2 hollow parts of the body. They can develop for example between the bladder and vagina, rectum and vagina, etc. In his case, it seems that one might have developed between the upper part of his intestine and the lowest part just before the anus. If not recent, he should call his GI doctor and let him or her know about what is going on. If surgery was recent, it should be brought up at the post-operative check if he's otherwise feeling well. I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.