Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I became unwell last week, during the night i was passing water

Customer Question

I became unwell last week, during the night i was passing water every half hour and became very hot and sweaty.my water was tested, was informed that i had a water infection, was precribed trimethoprim for a week. it has been over a week now and i still feel unwell, with a rash on my upper turso and night sweats
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Since you are still sick, the primary concern is that the trimethoprim did not treat the infection. The trimethoprim is a good first-line antibiotic for urinary infections, but there is no antibiotic that works 100% of the time.
At this point, it would be appropriate to use a stronger antibiotic. If a culture was done at the time of the initial visit, then the result of the culture should guide the decision of the next antibiotic, as the culture will show the antibiotic to which the germ is the most sensitive. If a culture was not done, then it would be appropriate to select an antibiotic empirically that is stronger and is in a different class, such as Levaquin.
If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
However, if I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions.
This is the link to my profile:
www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/