DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Two weeks after giving my wife had a failed root canal Not

Two weeks after giving my wife had a failed root canal
Not to long after that she has flu
She then developed pain in her ear.
She went to her GP who gave her course of antibiotics, after saying she had ear infection.
This didn't solve the problem so after repeated trips to doctor and 3 course of of antibiotics
She then got to see a ENT he said she had a ear infection and needed a gromit.
By time the gromit was fitted she no longer had any pain but was slightly death in that ear.
After gromit the pain came back much worse. ENT said it was another infections and gave her some antibiotics ear drops and tablets.
They didn't solve the problem and I rushed her into hospital when the pain became to much, they admitted her and put her on IV antibiotics and strong pain killers, they did a act scan and found there was fluid on the mastoid bone, but said the antibiotics would clear that up. After 6days of IV antibiotics they said there was no sign of infection and discharged her. After coming hospital the pain returned just as bad and was no even getting pain in the other ear. Went back to the ENT who said she has TMJ, this doesn't fit but went to see a dentist who did a x Ray and said there is infection her tooth with failed root canal and her wisdom teeth are growing at funny angle.
My wife is going insane and thinks no one knows what's going on and she's just going to be like this from now on, can anyone make sense of all this
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
The infected root canal is what makes absolute sense.
This is often missed.
She is lucky the dentist found it.
That said, TMJ can also be an aggravating factor, as can the wisdom teeth.
If it were me, I would first have the root canal addressed.
I would then address TMJ and see if the wisdom teeth can be left alone, unless they are impacted, in which case they need to be removed.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do you think having the tooth removed or having the root canal removed will solve the pain problem and how would this explain whooshing she hears in her ear and general feeling unwell ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
The infection and the TMJ both can aggravate a whooshing in the ear.
I think having the root canal taken out is a solution.
I am sure the dentist is recommending this.
It is an infection: this raises inflammation in the body.
In addition, the breakdown products of the bacteria can cause one to feel ill in general.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
We are only paid per positive rating, for bonuses, and for accepted additional services offers.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.