Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have been on Verapamil treatment of migraines

Customer Question

Hi. I have been on Verapamil for the treatment of migraines for about three weeks. 3 x 40 mg daily. I am finding it difficult to pass motion and feel very bloated. Yesterday I had a great deal of discomfort in the upper stomach and around the right side and back. This worsened today and I can only liken it to when I had gallstones, it really is quite painful Can I take indigestion remedies with Verapamil? I have dropped dose to 2x 40g today until I can speak to my GP but really need to know what else I can do to get some reliefi am a 62 year old female.
Yvonne
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThis is concerning and you could be developing a bowel obstructionYou can take indigestion remedies, yes.However, if the pain doesn't improve you may need to go to emergency for a bowel obstruction
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I have different opinion.Verapamil can cause these side effects commonly.You should take laxative like Bisacodyl and Miralax combination to produce bowel movement.Anti gas medication Simethicone can be taken with meals also to prevent gas and bloating.Given these side effects verapamil should be stopped.Instead, propranolol can be used effectively to control your migraine headaches.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Thanks for this question and I appreciate the other expert agreeing with me. You can try OTC indigestion products but be very careful.If you get any worse at all, go to the hospital immediately
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.I actually differed from other expert's opinion.Your symptoms can only improve with a stool softener/laxative combination and an anti gas medication.Indigestion medication alone will not help.Also discontinuation of verapamil is important to consider.Propranolol or Topiramate are other good options to prevent migraine headaches.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
I have thought about this question again and I am changing my opinion.I think you should stop the verapamil right away and go to ERThis is too concerning for an obstructionDon't waste your time trying at home. It is too dangerous