Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a sternoptomy on the 23rd of oct this year to remove

Hi I had a sternoptomy on the 23rd of oct this year to remove a tumor from the mediastinal mass right side which turned out to be a fully mature benign teratoma my question is should I still have pain the pain I am getting is in the side and back of my neck my right collarbone and my right shoulder blade the pain in my neck is like a stiff ache and my coller bone and shoulder blade pain is a sharp stabbing pain if this is normal how long on average does this normally take to ease offi didn't receive any physio as I was told I shouldn't need it I am on pain killers but as soon as they wear off the pain comes back
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are still having pain
a sternotomy is a big surgery and there is sometimes cracking of ribs and lots of scar tissue which forms after the surgery.
you should talk to your surgeons who did the surgery and see if your pain is normal for the surgery they did for you
you might need MRI scans to check for pinched nerves in your neck and back from the surgery which was performed.
you might benefit from lidocaine patches on areas of pain.
you might need more physical therapy and stretching of scar tissue to decrease pain from scar tissue from the surgery.
every patient is different after these types of sternotomy surgeries and one patient may have different pain symptoms than another.
so there is no "normal" or not.
if you are having pains which are keeping you from recovering properly, you need to talk to your doctors about it and see what they can do to help
some patients benefit from nerve pain medications like neurontin or lyrica or gabapentin or pregabalin which can help nerve damage pain
you should do some physicial therapy for your neck for stretching and cardiac and pulmonary rehab a well which can help you recover.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com