DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Am 46 and have had rectal bleeding on and off over many years.

Am 46 and have had rectal bleeding on and off over many years. A bout in July was followed by incidents of bowel movements in the morning being followed by the discovery of blood later in the day. Arose when left workplace and walked into the town to get lunch - felt a stinging sensation. On occasions this was a darker blood. Some occasions was no blood present. A specialist confirmed the presence of hemerhoids and injected these 10 days ago - still have some itching and has been once incidence of blood as described above. Would it be wise to accept the suggestion of a colonoscopy - i.e. would it be unwise to wait and see if the treatment of the hemeroids resulted in the bleeding stopping.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
If there were dark blood, this is not from the hemorrhoids.
You need to talk to the specialist.
I would start by considering stomach ulcer.
HIgher in the colon can do it as well.
You should not do an actual colonoscopy until the injecting doctor clears you: otherwise it would be unwise and you might ruin the procedure.
HOwever, you can do a camera pill if a view of the intestines is needed immediately.
There are other test options as well.
You should be working closely with a gastroenterologist at this point.
I am a double board certified US doctor.
Find me any day by request to safe time, I give fast, accurate, safe, comprehensive answers.
"Dr. Thomas only."
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks
See my add services offer
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.