Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having a strong smelling burning discharge mainly

I am having a strong smelling burning discharge mainly after urinating but occasionally it randomly happens. It seems to be a small amount and clear in colour.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The primary concern with this type of discharge is that it is from an infection of the tube in the penis, called a urethritis. Urethritis can be caused by certain sexually transmitted germs, particularly chlamydia and gonorrhea, but there also are some non-sexually transmitted germs.
Of the sexually transmitted germs, it is more common for the chlamydia to cause a smaller amount of a clear discharge. But ultimately, it would require testing to determine which germ is present.
Obviously, the level of risk for sexually transmitted germs would be related to your sexual history, but even in a man with a low level of risk, it is recommended that any man with a discharge should be seen and tested. So, that would be the next step that would be recommended. It is typically not something that would need urgent attention over a weekend, but it is also something that should not be unduly delayed.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.