Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My mum has been suffering from frequent heartburn and

Customer Question

My mum has been suffering from frequent heartburn and indigestion for the past few months, predominantly heartburn. This is at night when she is lying in bed and it has been keeping her up. She used to get it occasionally like we all do but it has become daily in recent months. When she told me about it I told her to eat her dinner earlier and to not have any wine with dinner, or a tea before bed like she always does. Since doing this it has stopped the indigestion and heartburn. However, if this routine is altered slightly, for example she eats out at a later time, the heartburn comes straight back.
I wondered if you had any thoughts on what could be going on? A little background about her:
She is 61 years of age
Her father died of oesophagus cancer when he was 70. He had suffered from years and years of heartburn and eventually developed cancer- I am not sure if the heartburn caused the cancer or if the two are related. He was also a heavy smoker.
My mum has never smoked and has little alcohol intake.
She has a very healthy diet with lots of green vegetable and low in fatty foods (she has high cholesterol).
She gets mouth ulcers although she bites her gums a lot so I think this is the cause
She doesn't have any problems swallowing.
My dad had some health problems over the summer (around the time the heartburn started) which caused her stress, as well as my brother moving abroad which made her anxious. The stress has now gone as my dad is back to normal.
Many thanks,
Rachel
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for query,I would recommend she should take omeprazole 4o mg once a day to relieve symptoms and life style modifications like eating dinner two hours before going to bed and walk after taking dinner. As her father had esophageal cancer so it is better for her to have endoscopy to look at stomach from inside to rule out any such condition and stomach ulcer.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.