Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I've been having spotting about 5-7 days before my period.

I've been having spotting about 5-7 days before my period. I went for an ultrasound and was told everything seemed fine, and a possible explanation was that I was low in progesterone. I was due to have blood tests to check my hormone levels and was pre fined cyclogest to take after the tests (if my progrsterone was indeed low), 400mg from ovulation to help with conception.
I didn't get round to having the blood tests however as I've just found out that I am actually 4 weeks pregnant. I am still having the spotting and am now not sure what to do. Does the spotting mean I have low progesterone and I should start taking cyclogest? Or is it unsafe to take this now? I just want to be sure my hormone levels won't affect me keeping the baby.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
do not take the cyclogest
spotting during pregnancy doesn't mean you are low in progesterone.
you can get blood tests for your hormones now
I bet your estrogen and progesterone hormone levels are going up now that you are 4 months pregnant.
I bet your hormone levels are fine
you should start on prenatal vitamins
and avoid drinking alcohol and no smoking.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - just to clarify I am 4 weeks pregnant not 4 months. Do you still recommend I don't take cyclogest?The reason I think I am low in progesterone because the last few months I have had unusual spotting before for about 5 days before my period, even this month before I got pregnant, and now it hasn't stopped.I'm just worried if I wait for a blood test it could be too late and I may lose the baby?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
4 weeks pregnant.I see. don't take the cyclogestyour spotting is due to your pregnancyyour hormone levels will climb up with the pregnancy.it won't be too lateget the blood test first before you take anything.I bet your progesterone levels will be fine.get the blood test this week.