Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have sore throat coughing yellow flem now and again and have

Customer Question

I have sore throat coughing yellow flem now and again and have a dull pain at the bottom of my windpipe if I inhale deeply.do I need antibiotics.I've had a sore throat since Sunday and the pain started today.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The symptoms that you describe are most likely due to a viral infection. Whenever there is a sore throat, a viral infection is the most common, but the primary concern is whether a Strep infection is present. There are several associated symptoms that increase or decrease the likelihood that Strep is present. A cough is a factor that would decrease the likelihood that Strep is present. A high fever or swollen lymph nodes in the neck would increase the risk that Strep is present. A viral infection can cause a high fever or swollen lymph nodes, but they are more common with a Strep infection. You do not mention that these are present, and if they are present, then that would change the likelihood and the recommendation of whether you should be checked for the sore throat.
Cough productive of yellow sputum associated with pain in the chest is also most likely a viral bronchitis. Non-smokers basically do not get bacterial bronchitis, and while smokers can get bacterial brochitis, it usually occurs in older smokers.
Cough and chest pain can less often be due to a pneumonia, but this is also much less likely in a young adult, and there usually would be a significant fever or shortness of breath.
So, this is most likely a viral infection, which will not get better faster with antibiotics. If you develop any of the worrisome symptoms noted above, then it would be appropriate to be checked, but without those symptom, it is fine to continue to manage it as a viral infection, including medicines to ease symptoms, while getting plenty of rest and drinking plenty of fluids.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.