Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

I have been on the mirena coil now 21months. My youngest baby

Customer Question

I have been on the mirena coil now 21months. My youngest baby is 2 just turned. A few days ago my breast became very tender. Yesterday my right breast began to leak what I can only explain as lactating. I then found a small pea sized lump. My breast is so sore today that I can barely lift my right arm. I've taken pregnancy tests all negative and my coil doesn't appear to have changed position judging by the position of strings. My hcg levels have always been undetectable besides by blood tests done by the doctor but I highly doubt that's the explanation. Could there be another?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Him It's Dr. C. Board certified ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about this concern. Whenever a woman has breast discharge similar to lactation and isn't pregnant, we checked 2 blood tests. We check for thyroid disease and for elevations is a hormone called prolactin. Sometimes thyroid disease and high prolactin levels can cause such discharge. Once we treat the condition if there is one, the discharge goes away. There are also a few medications that can cause such discharge. Are you on any medications? If on no medications, and the thyroid and prolactin levels are normal, the discharge is what we call "idiopathic". That just means "we don't know why but it's harmless". If it's bothersome, it can help to reduce all stimulation to the breasts. This includes breast play during sex, allowing your toddlers to touch them and allowing the shower water to run on the breasts. But once we know it's nothing serious, most women aren't too concerned. Most men enjoy this and don't see it as a problem at all. I hope this has been reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.